Sunday, June 13, 2010

A's Unconventional DIY Nursery

I've never been a big fan of the traditional nursery look. Instead I find myself drawn to quirky and somewhat modern nurseries like those featured on Ohdeedoh. So when I found myself planning a nursery for my second child I wanted to create something that I would enjoy looking at and being in. Ideally it would also work for several years.

I'd been enjoying the yellow and grey colour scheme for some time so that was a no brainer. And when we found out we were having another girl, I added in pink for a second accent colour. Budget is always tight around here so there are a lot of DIY elements. But in the end I'm thrilled with how everything turned out and apart from a few more little art projects I feel like the room is finally complete.


Simple wooden letters from the craft store covered with scrapbooking paper and hung with ribbon


The room is teeny tiny so I kept the furniture to a minimum.


The artwork was done using bargain store canvases and masks (a sticker that you lay on the canvas, paint over and then remove leaving the negative image unpainted). I made the change pad cover following the tutorial on Prudent Baby


The dresser is a really old wood dresser from my parent's house. I cleaned it up, painted it and added new drawer pulls.


We added a low shelf in the closet and painted both the same yellow as the dresser


Shelves for knick knacks and photos above a simple toy box. The decals are from etsy store Elephannie


The flowers are by Umbra and I sprayed them yellow


A simple bird mobile made of felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment